Skilled Migration Assessment
There are four main occupational categories within the engineering practice in Australia that you an apply for:
- Professional Engineer
- Engineer Technologist
- Engineering Associate
- Engineering Manager
Professional Engineers are required to take responsibility for engineering projects and programs in the most far-reaching sense. This includes the reliable functioning of all materials, components, sub-systems and technologies used; their integration to form a complete, sustainable and self-consistent system; and all interactions between the technical system and the context within which it functions. The required academic qualification is an Australian 4 year bachelor degree in engineering at a University following 12 years of schooling or equivalent.
The Professional Engineer:
- Focuses on overall systems.
- Pursues engineering opportunities in a holistic way, taking environmental, community & social issues into account
- Applies systematic approaches to the conduct and management of engineering projects
- Applies systematic engineering synthesis and design processes.
- Applies established engineering methods to complex engineering problems
- Applies leadership & management skills
The required academic qualification is an Australian 3 year bachelor of technology degree in engineering following 12 years of schooling or equivalent. Engineering Technologists normally operate within broadly-defined technical environments, and undertake a wide range of functions and responsibilities. They are often specialists in the theory and practice of a particular branch of engineering technology or engineering-related technology (the technology domain), and specifically in its application.
The Engineer Technologist:
- Focuses on interactions within the system
- Applies established engineering methods, techniques, tools and resources within the technology domain
- Advances engineering technology
The required academic qualification is an Australian 2 year Advanced Diploma or Associate Degree in engineering following 12 years of schooling or equivalent. Examples of their roles may include feasibility investigation, scoping, establishing criteria/performance measures, assessing and reporting technical and procedural options; design and development; component, resources and materials sourcing and procurement; construction, prototyping, manufacture, testing, installation, commissioning, service provision and de-commissioning; tools, plant, equipment and facilities acquisition, management, maintenance, calibration and upgrades; operations management; procedures documentation; presentation and reporting; maintenance systems design and management; project and facility management; quality assurance, costing and budget management; document control and quality assurance.
The Engineering Associate:
- Focuses on specific elements of the system
- Operates within codes and applies established practices and procedures
- Provides technical support to construction managers and engineering professionals in research, design, manufacture, assembly, construction, operation and maintenance of machines and equipment, facilities, distribution systems and installations
- Assists in resource estimation and site inspection
- Prepares, interprets, inspects and revises drawings, plans, diagrams, designs, maps and charts
The required academic qualification is generally a bachelor degree or higher in engineering or in an engineering related field following 12 years of schooling or equivalent. Engineering Manager is a high level executive position involving the formulation of engineering strategies, policies and plans and the direction, administration and review of engineering operations for an organization.
The Engineering Manager:
- Formulates engineering strategies, policies and plans and their direction
- Administrates and reviews engineering operations for an organisation.
Applicants should note that this occupation is not an engineering occupation, but rather belongs to the Managers ANZSCO group. Consequently, a positive outcome will not allow automatic membership with Engineers Australia.